You can never be fully prepared for what life plans on throwing at you. The natural disasters like earthquakes, floods, hurricanes can hit in the most unexpected of times and may leave you unable to do anything for yourself. We might have most of the essentials required in case of an emergency, but very few people actually have an emergency kit fully prepared and put in a safe and accessible place. The kit itself does not require too much effort, but a bag of things with enough supplies to let you go on for at least 72 hours can save yours and your family’s life.
When a natural disaster hits, you may be out of electricity, tap water, and sewage treatment for days. In a scenario like this, some essential tools in a kit can help you survive. These should be easy to carry, whether in a backpack or a rolling suitcase. It is a good idea to make a separate kit for all the family members and even pets.
To be better prepared you should learn about the risks in your region and the weather conditions to assess problems like extreme cold, flooding or prolonged power failure. Below are the ‘never to miss’ things for an emergency disaster kit irrespective of the region:
- A local map with your family meeting place identified
- Phone number and/or email address for an out-of-town person you can contact to let them know your situation
- First-Aid kit including prescription medications
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio; extra batteries
- Headlamp with extra batteries
- Candles and matches in a waterproof container
- Whistle to signal for help
- Extra batteries for your cell phone, a solar charger is useful
- Cash in small bills
- Three-day supply of food and water (don’t forget your pets)
- A small stove
- Seasonal clothing and footwear
- Emergency reflective blankets (space blankets)
- Multipurpose tool/wrench for turning off water and gas
- Supplies such as toiletries/toilet paper/dust masks/duct tape/garbage bags/bleach
- Copies of important documents (birth certificate, passport, bank info, will, insurance documents)
If any of your family members has any physical disability, you should keep in mind as to what could be essential for them.
While you prepare for yourself, it would be great to get the following image printed and give it away to loved ones. You could put a few in a public place you visit so as many people can benefit from it as possible.