Most of the people prefer driving an automatic over the stick since it is more straightforward. But with greater technology comes more complexity, and there are still many ways you can wreck your automatic transmission car.
The video below by Jason Fenske from the EngineeringExplained YouTube channel explains the five worst things you can do when driving an automatic vehicle. Here is a brief list:
- Never coast downhill in neutral: Putting your car in neutral while going downhill isn’t going to save you any gas since modern automatic transmissions already cut fuel to the engine, but it will take car’s control away and is illegal in 15 states in the USA.
- Never switch directions without stopping: While a manual car gear will grind and scream to let you know that you are doing it wrong, an auto transmission will probably allow you to do this. But it will ruin the transmission since you are essentially using the gears to come to a halt rather than your brakes.
- Never “launch” your vehicle: Revving up the car in neutral and launching it for a tire burn might seem cool in the Fast and the Furious movies, but it’s a great way to wear out bands in your auto transmission.
- Never put your car in neutral at a stop light: Changing gear on and off won’t save you any fuel and will wear down the transmission.
- Never shift into park gear until you completely stop: This can damage or break the locking pins that are used to keep your transmission in place.
Watch the video below to learn more!