A pier is the same as a column except for the fact that it works for the support of tall superstructures such as; arches, bridges and flyovers. Their main purpose is to transfer the load to the foundation while elevating the structure to a certain height.
The working principle behind pier is more or less the same as that of a column. It transfers load to the foundation (pile cap) and acts as a compression member.
- Wall Type
- Capped Pile
- Tee Type (Hammerhead)
- Cap and Column
- Multiple Column (no cap)
- Support for any structure above water
- Piers should be erected straight
- Curing should be done properly
- Piers should cater for the bending moment
- Design load should not be exceeded