The energy bills increase in winter due to a reason; we prefer staying inside in our warm and cozy homes. However, to keep oneself warm inside the home you really don’t need to crank the heat up or shower with hot water to the point where your energy bills put you in a tight financial position. What follows is a list of hacks that you can use to fight the cold and still be able to save on your energy bills.
24. Close the heating vents and doors to rooms that are not frequently used.
23. Take lukewarm shower that don’t last very long. This will prevent the skin from drying out and shall help you save money on energy bills.
22. Make sure that windows and small cracks are properly insulated.
21. You’d be amazed at how good tea lights and candles can be when it comes to warming your house.
20. Placing freezer bags on the side mirrors overnight doesn’t allow accumulation of ice in the sub-freezing temperatures.
19. Run the ceiling fan anti-clockwise on slow speed to have the hot air returned to you.
18. A humidifier will help you stay warmer while preventing any nosebleeds.
17. You can put socks on your windshield wipers to make sure that they don’t stick to your car during extreme cold.
16. Use a hard but not metallic spatula or a credit card if you’ve lost your ice scraper.
15. You can waterproof your shoes instantly by putting plastic bags around them.
14. Open your curtains on south-facing windows – the sun will do the rest.
13. Use floor mats or kitty litter to get some traction when you’re stuck in ice or snow.
12. Check the tread using a penny to ensure if your tires are good!
Insert it head-first; if all of Lincoln’s head shows, you need new tires. If only part of it shows, you’re all set.
11. Using a sunscreen will allow you to moisturize your body and impart protecting form the UV rays.
10. Turn down the thermostat and put a sweater on – you’d be amazed at how it reduces the bill.
9. If you use cotton gloves after moisturizing your hands, your body will be able to retain the moisture better.
8. Applying cooking spray to the shovel will ensure that snow doesn’t stick to it.
7. Your body needs Vitamin D to function and to make sure there is enough of it, do go outside for a bit.
6. Opt for oven-cooking more often since it helps in warming the kitchen and adjacent rooms.
5. Use a broom for brushing light snow off of your car instead of a shovel or scraper. This helps in reducing the damage your car will incur.
4. Use a cheap razor on a sweater to get rid of pills.
3. Use running tights under pants instead of long johns.
2. Layer up when it comes to clothing and make sure that you tuck your undershirt into pants.
1. Do you go to a gym? Take shower there and save hot water at home.