Whether you are a DIY enthusiast or you simply love home improvements projects, you need to ensure that you are having the right tools. Since most of the projects involves cutting, you need to have the right type of saws that will help you to get the job done such as reciprocating saws or worm drive circular saws. Saws are of different types and each one of them is suitable for a specific purpose. Below are the best types of saws for home improvement projects.
- Reciprocating saw
Reciprocating saws are unique saws that are used for demolitions. Just like a jigsaw, this one also uses a push-and-pull motion when cutting. Some models feature a dial or a trigger on one side which speeds up the rate of cutting. You will also find that they are very easy to control when you rest the foot of the saw on the surface. For faster cuts, they use oscillation system which rotates the blade in an elliptical motion. However, you need to choose the blades keenly to get the required results.
How do you choose the best blade for a reciprocating saw?
If you want to cut construction related materials, the best blade would be a 10-inch demolition blade. These blades have hook-shaped teeth which are specially designed for cutting plaster, drywall or wood.
Again, anytime you plan to cut roots or tree branches, you can use a blade with more aggressive tools like the skil or the “ugly blade”.
When you want to cut a metal shed or fence posts, the best blade would be a metal-cutting blade. To minimize vibrations, you should hold the saw firmly against the material.
- Portable Table Saws
If you are searching for a high quality saw you can use in different places, a portable table saw is the best one you should consider. These saws are lightweight and you can easily fold them for easy transport. They also have a compact shape and won’t take much of your space.
Why should you buy a portable table saw?
- Price – As compared to a contractor or a cabinet table saw, portable table saws are a bit cheaper. If you don’t have a budget to purchase the advanced models, you can just pick a portable table saw because you can use it in most of the woodwork projects.
- Lightweight – The most outstanding thing about these types of saws is that they lightweight and has a foldable design for easy carrying.
- Performance– Despite of their small size, portable table saws provides an impressive performance. As a result, you can highly rely on them for some tough projects like cabinet making. They also come with powerful motors which allows them to cut with precision.
- Easy to use – Even if you are a beginner, you won’t have any problems when using these types of saws due to their user-friendly design.
- Circular Saw
These ones are among the most versatile saws. Since circular saw is a good investment and easier to use you can use them for almost all projects that involve cutting. They are very easy since they have a circular blade. The most common types of circular saws are; worm drives and sandwinders. You can check out more circular saw reviews here
- Sandwinders-These ones are the best for small projects and they usually have a blade on the right side. Their motor normally protrudes to the left.
- Worm Drives – These ones are heavy-duty circular saws and are the best for tough projects. They have a worn gear which turns the blade hence the term worm drives. The good thing about them is that they make cuts faster as compared to sandwinders.
How to use a circular saw when removing flooring
Do you have a damaged floorboard which you have been planning to remove? A circular so is what you need to get the job done. But how do you go about it?
- Start by making two passes downwards according to the length of the floorboard you want to remove. After this, pry both pieces free.
- Now you can the bottom part of the groove on the piece you want to use for replacement.
- Ensure you have set the correct depth for the circular saw as you keep your eyes on the blade. This will allow you to make precise cuts that you need when removing the damaged floorboard.
- A worm drive will be the best because the blade is usually on the left. This means that if you are right handed, you can easily check what you are doing without straining your neck.
- Miter Saw
One of the most important tools you should never miss if you are a DIY enthusiast is a miter saw. A miter saw comes in handy when crosscutting or when cutting at specific angles.
How do you set up a miter saw?
If you want to get the best results when using a miter saw, you must now how to set it correctly. You can build a worktable or even purchase a stand that will hold it in place when cutting. Again, you can also use a few 2 X 4 blocks and a sheet of ¾ plywood.
How do you choose the best blade for a miter saw?
Always use premium or high quality when doing premium tasks. If possible, look for ridgid’s titanium coated saw blades or Vermont-American’s King Carbide. These blades are expensive but they provide the best performance. They also cut accurately and leave the surface clean after cutting. Additionally, you can sharpen them as many times as possible.
- Japanese Handsaw
These ones are hand-powered cutting tools which are very effective when cutting. If you use them correctly, they can cut faster as compared to cutting machines. Most of the people who love DIY projects prefer to use Japanese saws than other types of handsaws since they are more effective and they also provide clean cuts.
Those are the most popular saws for DIY projects. However, you need to be very careful when choosing to ensure that the one you have picked is the best for your projects since they do not work the same. The good thing about them is that they are very functional and will give you the best results.
Additionally, for more detailed and artistic projects, you can think about using scroll saw .