New Zealand is one of those countries that has been blessed with natural beauty, coolest people and great weather. It also has the highest number of unusual facts per capita that any other country! Check out these amazing facts about New Zealand that will make you proud.
1) New Zealand is the first country in the world to have commercial bungee
2) It has the world’s smallest species of Dolphins in the world (called Hector Dolphins)
3) There are no nuclear power stations anywhere in the country.
4) It produces 65 Kgs of Cheese and 100 Kgs of Butter each year per person
5) Japan has more vending machines than the people in New Zealand
6) New Zealand is the only country in the world to have rights to print Hobbit related images on its currency
7) Harlond Gillies, the pioneer of plastic surgery was a kiwi
8) Gisborne airport has both a runaway and train track. Sometimes, the train or the plane has to stop to let the other go.
9) In Dunedin, a clock has been running since 1864 without the need to rewind ever since
10) Its legal for universities and schools to have up to one pound of Uranium or Thorium for educational purposes. If they explode, there is a fine of $1 Million.
11) New Zealand has one of the world’s most advanced livestock industry. There are more sheep in New Zealand than Humans ( 9 sheep for every 1 human).
12) New Zealand is a plastic nation – almost all personal financial transactions are made with a card – credit or otherwise. Most shops offer EFTPOS (similar to the UK Chip and Pin which appeared two years later) and cash is seldom seen.
13) The lowest denomination in NZ currency is the 10 cent piece.
14) Baldwin Street, in Dunedin, is the world’s steepest street. The road has a gradient of 1 in 2.86 at its steepest section, a 38 per cent grade.
15) New Zealanders love cars. With over 2.5 Million cars for 4 million population, it has the highest car ownership rate in the whole world.
16) Auckland City Sky Tower is the tallest freestanding structure in the Southern Hemisphere at 328 meters.
17) Niue is an Island of NZ where the coins have Pokemon on them. There is also a limited collection of star wars coins.
18) A bird called Kea that is native to New Zealand eats rubber strips around car windows.
19) The longest place name in the world still in use is Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukaka-pikimaungahoronukupokaiwenuakitanatahu, a hill in Porangahau in the Hawkes Bay. The Maori name translates to “the place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as Landeater, played his flute to his loved one.”
20) New Zealand has won more Olympic gold medals a head than any other country.
20 Super Cool Facts About New Zealand That Will Make Every Kiwi Proud