By market capitalization, Apple is the largest publically traded company in the US with shares worth $626 billion. The ambitious project of Apple Campus 2 will redefine the workplaces as we know them. Apple wants to its new campus to depict the values that the company believes in: independence, ultra-modernism, and environmental friendliness.
These are the 12 relatively unknown facts about the Apple Campus 2 Project, commonly known as “Space Shuttle”:
1. Apple Campus 2 was a Pet Project of Steve Jobs
Jobs’ vision of the Apple campus 2.0 was that of a super modern workplace architecture that had never been seen before. He was very enthusiastic about the project as is revealed by the famous words he said to Norman Forester, the architect of the Apple Campus 2.
“Do not take me on as a client, but rather as part of a team.”
2. The Walls of the Campus will include the largest curved glass panels in the World
Two sides of the new Apple campus will comprise of curved glass walls made up of 3000 panels of the curved glass. Thus, the Apple employees will be greeted by a magnificent view of the internal garden or the striking scenery of the area surrounding the building.
3. The underground auditorium in the building could house up to 1,000 people
The building will house a huge basement auditorium, sufficient to accommodate more than 1000 people comfortably. All future Apple products will be launched via the same platform. The company will host WWDC 2017 in this hall.
4. More than 80% of the Campus area will be green
The campus will be populated by a large number of trees and shrubs. The company has planted more than 7000 trees on the campus site. Dan Whisenhunt informed the audience during a presentation:
“ We have selected many varieties of plants resistant to drought, to minimise the amount of water needed to irrigate them.”
5. Renewable Sources Will Power The Building
The Apple Space shuttle will be powered by biofuel and 65,000 square meters of solar panels.
6. The Campus will not require heating or air conditioning for three-quarters of a year
The natural climatic conditions of California and the specially installed 4,300 hollow-centered concrete slabs will keep the complex cool throughout the year.
7. The Complex will require 6,000 Hectolitres of Water Daily
As reported by the San Jose Mercury News, the Apple Campus 2 will need 157,000 gallons of water for daily use. However, the company will only utilise the recycled water.
8. Employees will move around the campus on Bicycles
Apple employees will use the 1000 bikes provided by the tech giant to commute from one corner of the campus to the other.
9. Apple Space Ship Will cost around $ 5 billion
The project is truly audacious and will reportedly cost around USD 5 billion.
10. An enormous underground garage to park up to 11,000 cars
To keep the landscape clean, Apple will install a huge underground parking with the ability to hold 10,980 cars. To encourage the use of clean energy, charging station will be made available for the electric vehicles.
11. Huge Health centre for the Apple Employees
Apple will pamper its 20,000 employees with a huge “spa” that will cost nearly $ 70 million.
12. The Apple Space Ship Cafe will be about the Size of a Football Field
Covering about 5500 square meters, the café could serve 21000 people while another 600 diners could dine on the terrace of the café.
You can see the official video depicting the building plan below: