Standby generators are backup power systems that operate automatically in case of power outage. The are available in many sizes and depending on power output can cost over 50,000$ as these machines can power entire office and apartment buildings. We have based this list on ease of maintenance, reliability and customer reviews.
10. Cummins RS20 / GSBB 20kW Home Standby Generator(4,495$)
This standby generator has a maximum power of 20kw and is fitted with a 100A breaker. It can be powered by both natural gas and propane. It requires a 12V battery which has to purchase separately.
9. GE 13KW Standby Generator 810cc (2,249.10$)
General Electric is one of best power and electronics distributors out there. This 13Kw Standby generator is ideal for homes and small apartment buildings.
8. Briggs & Stratton 40400 12000-Watt Home Standby Generator System(2999$)
With a 200Amp automatic transfer switch, you won’t have to worry about turning your generator on when the power goes off. It provides stable power and with a three year limited part and labor warranty you can rest assure about any breakdowns that might occur over time.
7. Honeywell 17 kW Automatic Standby Generator(4319.02$)
The power generator is installed with a 200A auto switch that is a standard in most standby generators. This machine is one of most durable models in the market though warranty is not given.
6. Briggs & Stratton 40450 10000-watt Home Standby Generator System with 200-Amp Automatic Transfer Switch(2999$)
Manages power to all your appliances at home and is a better buy than the 12Kw system as these models have far less break down and over-heating issues. Like the previous model, this too has a three-year warranty.
5. Briggs & Stratton 76160 60000-watt Home/Commercial-Grade Standby Generator with GM Vortec 1800 RPM Engine(17,999$)
A commercial-grade standby generator that can generate up to 60kW of power. The device has automatic power up and comes with a four year limited part & labor warranty.
4. Siemens ASGN020RBA Air-Cooled Liquid Propane/Natural Gas Powered Standby Generator with Aluminum Enclosure, 20,000-Watt(4712$)
The aluminum casing of this generator meets ASCE 7 standards and can withstand 150 MPH winds. With nearly a 1000cc engine, this single phase generator can be used in commercial applications as well but be warned the automatic transfer switch has to be purchased separately.
3. Kohler 20RESAL-100LC16 20,000-Watt Air-Cooled Standby Generator with 100 Amp(5011.06$)
The 20kw machine is air cooled and is enclosed in a 100% corrosion proof container. The auto switch takes about 10 seconds to startup the generator when the power is not available and as a bonus, the firm provides five years of warranty.
2. Generac 6551 Guardian Series, 22kW Air Cooled Standby Generator(4697$)
Generac provides some of the most reliable and high-performance standby generators out there. If you looking one for your home then this model is the most popular in the market today. It can be powered by natural gas, or propane and is made in compliance with UL, CUL, and EPA Safety standards.
1. Generac Commercial Series Liquid-Cooled Standby Generator – 100 kW, 120/240 Volts, LP, Model# QT10068AVAC(24500$)
We decided to place this generator at the top because of its sheer power ability and ease of maintenance. The 100kW generator can power an entire apartment building. This mega generator has some special functions such as auto shutdown and unique engine cooling systems. The large machine has a noise level of 75db, but even that is less than some of the other similar power output generators.